Thursday, March 1, 2007

False historical analogies

My friends and hero, Jamie McCarthy of the The Holocaust History Project, who was the first person to step to my side and offer to do research when David Irving first sued me for libel and who, together with his colleagues at the THHP did yeopeople's work on my case, has reminded me of another false analogy. He was prompted to do so by my interchange with a student about demonizing "liberals" as bad for the Jews.
In August 2006, then Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, compared critics of the Iraq war to "appeasers" of pre-World War II who wanted to negotiate with Adolf Hitler.

Rumsfeld accused them of not having learned "history's lessons." He went on to ask:
"Can we truly afford to believe that, somehow or some way, vicious extremists could be appeased?"
Problem is appeasers and those who sought every which way to avoid confrontation with Hitler were conservative Republicans.

They were the same ones who fought most strongly against the doors of this country being opened to Jews trying to flee Hitler's murderous reach.

In a trenchant critique, Keith Olbermann of MSNBC, condemns this easy use of Nazi analogies.

No comments: